Saturday, October 07, 2006

 

Edward R. Olbermann

With all due respect, I have to say that Keith Olbermann is wrong.

In a recent Special Comment , he said:
Although I presumptuously use his sign-off each night, in feeble
tribute, I have utterly no claim to the words of the exemplary
journalist Edward R. Murrow.

But never in the trial of a thousand years of writing could I
come close to matching how he phrased a warning to an earlier
generation of us, at a time when other politicians thought they
(and they alone) knew everything, and branded those who disagreed:
"confused" or "immoral".
Nobody is really "the next" anybody else, but Keith Olbermann is, in my humble opinion, a worthy successor to Edward R. Murrow. Murrow bravely spoke out against McCarthyism; Olbermann today is bravely speaking out against George W. Bushism. Murrow was before my time. I'm glad to see that our current situation can still inspire at least some journalists of similar caliber.

Keith Olbermann's "Special Comments" can, and certainly should, be seen on his show countdown on MSNBC. The transcript of his latest commentary is here, along with links to previous ones.

Good night, and good luck to us all.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?