Wednesday, November 05, 2008

 

President-Elect

So, that happened.

The first time I heard the phrase "President-Elect Obama" on the news last night, I was taken by surprise for just a moment.  After a little thought, I figured out why.  I haven't really heard the phrase "President-Elect" in 8 years.  And I haven't believed it in 16 years.

Still, I have to admit to some mixed feelings about Barack Obama's electoral victory.  I mean, we have certain expectations about what a President looks like.  Barack Obama is, let's face it, a member of a group that used to be a minority, and he's going to be first member of that group in the White House.  I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, but (and I'm a little embarrassed about this) I'm just not 100% sure I'm ready for it.  But I guess I'll just have to get used to the idea, and to the very real possibility that his successor will be a member of that same group.

But hey, don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are -- well, you know what I mean.

For the first time in my life, the President of the United States is going to be younger than I am.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?